Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Fwd: RE: Automatic Volume creation

2011-07-06 08:48:09
Subject: [Bacula-users] Fwd: RE: Automatic Volume creation
From: Jeremy Maes <jma AT schaubroeck DOT be>
To: bacula-users <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 06 Jul 2011 14:43:59 +0200
Op 6/07/2011 10:17, Robert.Mortimer schreef:
Hi,

I have Bacula running with an IBM TL3400. As the tapes are bar coded
Bacula can read the library and add the tapes to it's catalogue. I can
than move then to the backup pools. My issue is the tapes have not had a
volume written to the front of the tape using the label command they
fail to mount with the following bconsole status.

Device "Drive-3" (/dev/nst2) open but no Bacula volume is currently
mounted.
    Device is BLOCKED waiting for mount of volume "CBP10020",
       Pool:        snapshot-pool
       Media type:  LTO-3
    Slot 11 is loaded in drive 2.
    Total Bytes Read=0 Blocks Read=0 Bytes/block=0
    Positioned at File=0 Block=0

Tape CBP10020 is in /dev/nst2 but is blank. How do I get Bacula to
automatically initialise the tape and write the volume label. My storage
definition is as follows:-

From what I know all you need is one command to label all the tapes with their barcode. Or as the manual reads:

If your autochanger has barcode labels, you can label all the Volumes in your autochanger one after another
by using the label barcodes command. For each tape in the changer containing a barcode, Bacula will
mount the tape and then label it with the same name as the barcode. An appropriate Media record will
also be created in the catalog. Any barcode that begins with the same characters as specified on the
”CleaningPrefix=xxx” command, will be treated as a cleaning tape, and will not be labeled.

I sort of assumed that AutomaticMount would do it. I am reluctant to use
LabelMedia because I am not sure it will use that label on the bar code
rather than issuing a new one. Can anyone confirm that behaviour of
LabelMedia when used with a bar coded auto-changer?

Robert Mortimer
Linux Systems Administrator

I don't think you'll need LabelMedia as that would indeed label the tapes with a label as specified by the LabelFormat directive you'd put in there with it. The command above should achieve what you want.

More on autochangers in Chapter 31 of the manual :)

Regards,
Jeremy

Bacula was set up to periodically read the auto-changer catalogue. As a result media records existed for the unlabeled tapes. Tapes with a media record are overlooked by “label barcodes”. The other issue I had was when I tried it threatened to label all the tapes and assign them to one pool. It did not explicitly mention that is would ignore tapes with an existing media record. I will now think about the automatic read of the tape library and change it to sweep new tapes into the scratch pool.

Thanks Rob

**** DISCLAIMER ****
http://www.schaubroeck.be/maildisclaimer.htm

www.lifestylegroup.co.uk

                                www.linkedin.com/company/39206

This e-mail is confidential and only intended for the named recipient. If you are not the intended recipient please notify the sender immediately by phone or email. Please then delete it from your system.  Any opinions are those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Lifestyle Services Group Ltd. Please note that this e-mail and any attachments have not been encrypted. They may therefore be liable to be compromised.  We do not accept any liability for any virus infection, external compromise of security or confidentiality in relation to e-mails.

Lifestyle Services Group Limited (LSG) is a company registered in England and Wales No. 5114385 and is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority in respect of insurance mediation activities.  Registered Office: Osprey House, Ore Close, Lymedale Business Park, Newcastle-under-Lyme, Staffordshire ST5 9QD.