Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question

2011-03-31 13:22:51
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question
From: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 10:20:06 -0700
On 3/31/2011 10:02 AM, Alan Brown wrote:
> Randy Katz wrote:
>
>> Alan, thank you for that answer and please excuse my questions:
>>
>> 1. Do you have a different expire time (60d) for your Full then your
>> Incrementals or does it matter?
>
> I set the database file/job expire time to 100 years and simply roll
> the media, but we do full/diff/incremental in the same pool.
>
> I did look at putting fulls in one pool and the rest in another but
> decided this is more trouble than it's worth.
>
>> 2. Which parameter are you referring to?
>>     a. Full Expiration - Is it File Retention or Job Retention or both?
>
> Both
>
>>     b. Expire Media - What parameter are you referring to?
>
> Volume expiry.
>
> When a volume is purged its file/job data is automatically erased from
> the database anyway, with the effect being that we can restore any
> version of any file from the backup tapes, up to the oldest Full
> backup (and occasionally beyond).
>
> If your database size is too big to handle then job/file retention
> could be shortened but I wouldn't do that if it can possibly be
> avoided (memory is cheap, the added time to bscan or be forced to do a
> full restore is not)

Well since I asked the question I have scripted a Pools.conf creation
script for Full, Diff, and Incr for each Client to backup,
removed the Pools from bacula-dir.conf and added an Include
(@/etc/bacula/conf.d/pools.conf). It didn't take very long and
if anything needs to change is trivial to reconfigure now. As for
retaining a Full backup for so long, why is it so necessary if
I have a Full being created every month with a 3 Volume Retention and a
Time of 60d then there should never be a time when
there is no Full before Diff/Incr's, right? If I wanted a 180 day cycle
then would want to extend that to the incrementals and
diffs as well, right?

Regards,
Randy