Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question

2011-03-31 13:07:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Scheduling Question
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: Randy Katz <rkatz AT simplicityhosting DOT com>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2011 18:02:58 +0100
Randy Katz wrote:

> Alan, thank you for that answer and please excuse my questions:
>
> 1. Do you have a different expire time (60d) for your Full then your
> Incrementals or does it matter?

I set the database file/job expire time to 100 years and simply roll the
media, but we do full/diff/incremental in the same pool.

I did look at putting fulls in one pool and the rest in another but
decided this is more trouble than it's worth.

> 2. Which parameter are you referring to?
>     a. Full Expiration - Is it File Retention or Job Retention or both?

Both

>     b. Expire Media - What parameter are you referring to?

Volume expiry.

When a volume is purged its file/job data is automatically erased from
the database anyway, with the effect being that we can restore any
version of any file from the backup tapes, up to the oldest Full backup
(and occasionally beyond).

If your database size is too big to handle then job/file retention could
be shortened but I wouldn't do that if it can possibly be avoided
(memory is cheap, the added time to bscan or be forced to do a full
restore is not)