Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Should I use data spooling when writing to nfs mounted storage?

2011-03-03 16:03:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Should I use data spooling when writing to nfs mounted storage?
From: Sean Clark <smclark AT tamu DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 03 Mar 2011 15:00:34 -0600
(Dangit, that last reply was supposed to go to the list, not just the
sender of the email...let me try this again)

On 03/03/2011 12:40 PM, Fabio Napoleoni - ZENIT wrote:
> Thank you for your analysis, after that I think that the problem is not the
> nfs overhead, because the despooling phase (over nfs filsystem) has a
> transfer rate of 7.3 MBps, so it's fine. Instead the first phase (bacula-fd
> -> bacula-sd) happens at 1.2 MBps which is very poor value I think.
>
> So the bottleneck should be the client configuration or something similar.
> What I should check to improve performances?
>
> This is the fileset used for that backup
>
> FileSet {
>   Name = "FileSystem Full"
>   Include {
>     Options {
>       compression=GZIP # compress backup
[...]

In my experience, slow performance like this (i.e. <5MB/s on at least
100Mb ethernet) usually turns out to be the client's fault.  Compression
seems to be a very common culprit.  Try switching compression off
completely and see how much of a difference that makes.  The latency
introduced by waiting for compression - even pretty fast compression -
seems to substantially choke throughput down.
If bacula ends up with additional compression type options in addition
to gzip at some point, this might help (LZO compression doesn't compress
as well as gzip, but seems to have a lot less overhead, for example),
but in the meantime if you're not backing up over a very slow link OR
you are not desperate for space on your backup media, you are better off
without the compression.

The other thing (that I'm guessing doesn't apply here) is on Windows
systems and some Macs that run antivirus software that does "on-access"
scanning.  I've seen that bog down backups as well.