Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Should I use data spooling when writing to nfs mounted storage?

2011-03-03 16:14:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Should I use data spooling when writing to nfs mounted storage?
From: Fabio Napoleoni - ZENIT <fabio AT zenit DOT org>
To: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
Date: Thu, 3 Mar 2011 22:11:46 +0100
Il giorno 03/mar/2011, alle ore 20.53, Alan Brown ha scritto:

> Fabio Napoleoni - ZENIT wrote:
>
>> Thank you for your analysis, after that I think that the problem is not the
>> nfs overhead, because the despooling phase (over nfs filsystem) has a
>> transfer rate of 7.3 MBps, so it's fine. Instead the first phase (bacula-fd
>> -> bacula-sd) happens at 1.2 MBps which is very poor value I think.
>
> Is this a full backup?

Yes it is.

> You can't get accurate results with anything else.
>
>      compression=GZIP # compress backup
>
> This will have a MARKED effect on your speeds. Consider switching it off and
> see how fast things go.

I tried to disable both compression and signature with this results:

Job write elapsed time = 00:03:31, Transfer rate = 7.918 M Bytes/second
Despooling elapsed time = 00:03:50, Transfer rate = 7.272 M Bytes/second

This is the performances with signature only (no compression)

Job write elapsed time = 00:03:42, Transfer rate = 7.528 M Bytes/second

And this is the performances with compression only (no signature)

Job write elapsed time = 00:12:51, Transfer rate = 1.322 M Bytes/second

So the poor throughput is given by software compression. I don't know what to
choose in the speed vs space tradeoff. Ideally the best option could be
compression on the storage director (it has more powerful hardware than this
client) but I think that bacula currently doesn't support this feature.

Thanks for help me to solve this.

--
Fabio Napoleoni - ZENIT
fabio AT zenit DOT org

"Computer Science is no more about computers than astronomy is
about telescopes"

                                                    Edsger W. Dijkstra