Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore

2010-06-14 15:03:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore
From: Gavin McCullagh <gavin.mccullagh AT gcd DOT ie>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 20:00:53 +0100
Hi,

On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, James Harper wrote:

> You really need a windows live CD (eg bartpe) or else you won't get all
> your NTFS ACL's and other stuff restored properly. Also, certain
> versions of mkntfs are broken wrt making a partition bootable.

That's a real shame.  Knoppix et al are so much more flexible than BartPE.
It would be really handy if one could restore Windows servers in that way.
I wrote down the steps as I did the restore from a knoppix cd and a nice,
short succinct list of commands gets you to an NTFS filesystem with all the
files restored.

Gavin