Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore

2010-06-14 11:20:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore
From: Alan Brown <ajb2 AT mssl.ucl.ac DOT uk>
To: James Harper <james.harper AT bendigoit.com DOT au>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 16:13:43 +0100 (BST)
On Sat, 12 Jun 2010, James Harper wrote:

> You really need a windows live CD (eg bartpe) or else you won't get all
> your NTFS ACL's and other stuff restored properly.

Reminder to all: NTFS ACL and other filesystem semantics (but not
structure) are based on VMS, not Unix. This is a direct result of WinNT's
original developers being VMS people.

I'd argue that VMS filesystem semantics are more secure and more flexible
than Unix (we use VMS here), but MS managed to mess that all stuff up
quite spectacularly in NT...

AB