Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore

2010-06-14 14:32:12
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] bare metal windows server 2003 restore
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2010 14:29:17 -0400
I've never been able to get the bare-metal restore to work doing a restore
starting from a Live CD.  I last tried it over a year ago and people
responded a while later saying they got it to work that way and they would
update a web page with said info but it appears never to have happened.
That would be far simpler than messing with the windows ASR disks.  I was
able to get the files restored but couldn't make the system fully windows
bootable.  If anybody has done some recent bare-metal restoring for
windows, please update the wiki page or put up another page somewhere else
and link to it.

Also, there have been conflicting messages posted on here about whether
bacula restores windows junction points in the current version or if it
still just complains about not wanting to back them up (it still complains
but I don't know for sure if that means it doesn't want to traverse through
them or if it's actually backing up the junction point as a special file
system item at all).

Off the topic of bacula for a second, what did you mean by  "PS MS SQL
Server v5 is involved here." ?  Did you mean MS SQL 2005 or MySql 5?

MySQL does not support VSS.  MS SQL does (but only in the 2005 and later
version I presume) but if your db is doing a lot of writes I wouldn't rely
on it--for trying to do a fully 100% safe restore of a database engine (or
anything else if you're not wanting writes made after you back it up to be
lost completely) you really need to shut the db engine down, take the
backup, then work on the restore.  Otherwise you risk having people think
stuff got updated when those updates are about to get lost.  For regular
backups, it's not necessary to shut the db down but if you know you're
going to wipe the drive after the backup you really want to eliminate all
writes that can't be lost before taking the final backup.

     Bob