Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with prune/purge in Bacula

2010-06-11 04:24:26
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Problem with prune/purge in Bacula
From: Area de Sistemas <sistemas AT uva DOT es>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 11 Jun 2010 10:23:49 +0200
Thanks for your unvaluable help Machiel.

I've read your previous topic and effectively it explains the really
strange behavior of bacula regarding retention parameters :-(

But honestly I think this behavior can be considered as a BUG/PROBLEM,
cause a situation with a ONE host (= ONE client) with different backup
types each one with its own retention parameters (TIPICALLY MEANING A
POOL FOR EVERY BACKUP TYPE) can be considered as normal/usual, and the
"workaround" of defining for each host different bacula clients (each
one with its retention parameters) can't be considered the right way.

So...A MESSAGE FOR BACULA DEVELOPERS:

Please correct the bacula behavior using retention parameters.
According the actual features of bacula and (logically) the
documentation, the right/normal/logical/expected behavior of retention
parameters (at least from user perspective) would be:
    1- retention parameters defined in CLIENT resource:
         * they must be applied to ALL JOBS of the client, no matter the
pool they used
    2- retention parameters defined in POOL resource:
         * they must be applied ONLY to jobs of the client using ONLY
THIS POOL, and never affect jobs in other pools

Another option would be allow retention parameters ONLY in the client
resource and NOT in the pool resource (updating the documentacion
accordingly), but I think this would be the wrong way, causing bacula to
loose functionality and a good feature.

Perhaps are you working on this yet?
Thanks in advance.