Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Problem with prune/purge in Bacula

2010-06-10 10:05:38
Subject: [Bacula-users] Problem with prune/purge in Bacula
From: Area de Sistemas <sistemas AT uva DOT es>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 2010 15:24:18 +0200
Hi.

We have discovered recently a problem with Bacula.
After some investigations it appears to be related with prune/purge
functions of Bacula.
More precisely it appears that Bacula prunes/purges from catalog more
jobs/files than necessary BUT only in SOME CASES: some clients appears
to have *all* jobs/files information but some not.
* But scanning some volume with older backups (according information in
old log files) they contain data of the "extra" jobs purged/pruned by
Bacula.

Every POOL has the "Volume, File and Job Retentions" and the "Volume Use
Duration" defined according the retention policies needed but it appears
that as I've said in some cases Bacula doesn't applies them correctly.
* We don't use these retention parameters in any other bacula object
(i.e.: clients)

We have bacula-dir 5.0.2.
An example of a pool definition:

Pool {
   Name = Diarias-ciclo-1m
   Pool Type = Backup
   Next Pool = Clonados-Diarias-ciclo-1m
   Recycle = yes
   AutoPrune = yes
   Volume Retention = 7 weeks
   File Retention = 7 weeks
   Job Retention = 7 weeks
   Volume Use Duration = 1 day
   Maximum Volumes = 0
   Maximum Volume Bytes = 20 g
   Storage = Disco-Copias-Diarias-ciclo-1m
   Label Format = "diario-"
}

This pool is used for daily copies with a monthly cycle, so the
retention parameters are defined in order to guarantee 1 month of
copies. The retention values are greater than 1 month cause we mix
incremental/full backups (MaxFullInterval=13d, MaxDiffInterval=6d).

Perhaps a Bacula bug?
Perhaps I don't understand the behaviour of retention parameters (I
think this is less probable cause the problem appears to affect only
some clients/copies)?

Any ideas?

Thanks in advance.

P.S.
Sorry for my poor english...I hope you can understand my message.