Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues

2010-05-22 11:14:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] LTO-4 Drive issues
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 22 May 2010 17:11:24 +0200
skipunk schrieb:

> Hoping someone could help me out.  My department recently purchased
> a Dell PowerVault TL2000 autochanger connected via SAS5.
>
> We are upgrading from a spectralogic AIT4 system.
>
> The sad part is the LTO-4 drive is running much slower than the AIT
> system.  I'm avg around 714k/s. I have been reading where others
> complain about only 35 - 50 M/s instead of 120+. At this point I'd
> love to 35 - 50 M/s.
>
> I'm running Fedora 12 & Bacula 5.0.2
> This is all on a new server. The AIT system is running on Fedora 10 & Bacula
> 5.0.0
>
> All the config files are similar if not identical accept for
> hardware settings. I just don't seem to understand why this is so
> slow. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Did you test the drive with tar, dd or other system tools? Did you
test the drive with btape? Anything in the kernel log file?

http://www.bacula.org/de/dev-manual/Testing_Your_Tape_Drive.html

I'd begin with the basic tests with dd and tar. Create a 5 GB large
file with random data (/dev/urandom), put the file on a fast disk and
write it to tape with dd.

Everything below ~40 MB/s will do harm to your drive and tapes,
because the drive will start show-shining.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tape_drive#Problems

Thus you should use spooling for backups jobs that can't deliver
this minimum data rate.

Ralf