Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-05-16 10:01:58
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
To: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
Date: Sun, 16 May 2010 15:59:53 +0200
On Tuesday 04 May 2010 10:45:16 Craig Ringer wrote:
> On 4/05/2010 11:45 AM, Morty Abzug wrote:
> > file dedup (rather than block dedup) could mostly be handled at the
> > catalog level with another level of indirection.  I.e. instead of a
> > catalog entry containing file metadata and where the file lives on
> > media, it would contain file metadata and a foreign key to a table
> > that maps hashes to where the file lives on the media.
>
> This is really hard to do when everything is bundled into big volumes,
> and volumes are expired as units. It'd be necessary to compltely
> re-design the way storage works to do file-level deduplication, and it's
> not as easy to do (efficiently, with proper retention etc) as it first
> seems either.

Actually, this is an issue that I have thought a lot about, but not from the
stand point of having the underlying filesystem do the deduping, rather from
the stand point of having some form of deduplication in Bacula.

One of the problems with doing sliding block or byte level deduplication is
that you have to efficiently store the hashes and the parts of the files that
have been deduped.  BackupPC handles deduping files by using hard links, but
lots of hard links are a disaster for fsck and backup programs.  Thus some
other method is needed.

I have been wondering if git technology cannot be put to use in defining a
new "Bacula Volume" format for disks.  If anyone is familiar with or wants to
look at how git handles storing data, I would be *very* interested in your
views.

Best regards,

Kern