Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-05-04 04:48:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Craig Ringer <craig AT postnewspapers.com DOT au>
To: Morty Abzug <morty AT frakir DOT org>
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 16:45:16 +0800
On 4/05/2010 11:45 AM, Morty Abzug wrote:

> file dedup (rather than block dedup) could mostly be handled at the
> catalog level with another level of indirection.  I.e. instead of a
> catalog entry containing file metadata and where the file lives on
> media, it would contain file metadata and a foreign key to a table
> that maps hashes to where the file lives on the media.

This is really hard to do when everything is bundled into big volumes,
and volumes are expired as units. It'd be necessary to compltely
re-design the way storage works to do file-level deduplication, and it's
not as easy to do (efficiently, with proper retention etc) as it first
seems either.

--
Craig Ringer