Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup

2010-05-04 02:37:39
Subject: [Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup
From: Vlamsdoem <vlamsdoem AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 04 May 2010 08:34:15 +0200
Hello,

I have few questions about my new backup configuration.
Before asking my questions I will give you some useful information about
what I need to do.
I need a backup ± 10 servers with one full backup every week of 3,5 TB
and an incremental backup of 100GB 5 times/week.
I have 48 hours to do the full backup and about 8 hours to do the
incremental backup.
Every servers are on a 100Mb ethernet link.
Considering all this parameters I need some advice about the choice of
my hard disks.
I'm planing to buy a StorageWorks array from Hp (DAS) but I don't know
what's the best choice for the hard disks.
I'm pretty sure that a fast hard disk is better for performance but it's
not for money saving :), I'm wondering if big sata disks of 2TB/7.2k rpm
are fast enough to achieve my backups in time or is it better to buy
faster/sas disks to be sure it's done in time.

My second question is about an off-site backup solution.
I will also buy another machine with the same configuration as the first
one to do an off-site backup.
What's the best solution to achieve this? A new backup of all my servers
on the off-site backup server or a copy job from the first backup server
to the second one?
The off-site backup server will only keep the full backups not the
incrementals and it's also on a 100Mb ethernet link.

I hope you have enough informations to answer my questions.

Thanks for your help.