Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup

2010-05-05 05:21:27
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup
From: Vlamsdoem <vlamsdoem AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 05 May 2010 11:16:40 +0200
On 04/05/10 13:51, Thomas Mueller wrote:
> Am Tue, 04 May 2010 08:34:15 +0200 schrieb Vlamsdoem:
>

>> Hello,
>>
>> I have few questions about my new backup configuration. Before asking my
>> questions I will give you some useful information about what I need to
>> do.
>> I need a backup ± 10 servers with one full backup every week of 3,5 TB
>> and an incremental backup of 100GB 5 times/week. I have 48 hours to do
>> the full backup and about 8 hours to do the incremental backup.
>> Every servers are on a 100Mb ethernet link. Considering all this
>> parameters I need some advice about the choice of my hard disks.
>> I'm planing to buy a StorageWorks array from Hp (DAS) but I don't know
>> what's the best choice for the hard disks. I'm pretty sure that a fast
>> hard disk is better for performance but it's not for money saving :),
>> I'm wondering if big sata disks of 2TB/7.2k rpm are fast enough to
>> achieve my backups in time or is it better to buy faster/sas disks to be
>> sure it's done in time.
>>
> 100Mb == 100mbit? 100Mbit will result in about 9MB/s . To transfer 3,5TB
> over ethernet you would need about 108hours.  you need _at least_ 1Gbit
> ethernet on the backup-server.
>
> if there are millions of small files involved on the backedup servers,
> there will be much less throuhput. also do not place the DB data not on
> the same spindles as the backup volumes.
>
> IMHO the backup disks will not be the bottleneck if you go with SATA 7.2k
> drives. but check the specs - i'm sure HP is providing performance data
> somewhere on the homepage (or ask your dealer)
>
> - Thomas

Sorry my servers are on gigabit links.
How do you come to 9MB/s with a 100Mb link, is it not equals to 12,5 MB/s?
If it's correct on a gigabit link I would have a rate transfer of 90MB/s
and the transfer rate of the sata disks are 3Gb/s(375MB/s).
In fact the sata hard disks are not be the bottleneck, that's great news :).
I'll save my DB data on an other disk, thanks for the advice.