Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup

2010-05-04 07:53:39
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Hardware configuration and off-site backup
From: Thomas Mueller <thomas AT chaschperli DOT ch>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 11:51:09 +0000 (UTC)
Am Tue, 04 May 2010 08:34:15 +0200 schrieb Vlamsdoem:

> Hello,
>
> I have few questions about my new backup configuration. Before asking my
> questions I will give you some useful information about what I need to
> do.
> I need a backup ± 10 servers with one full backup every week of 3,5 TB
> and an incremental backup of 100GB 5 times/week. I have 48 hours to do
> the full backup and about 8 hours to do the incremental backup.
> Every servers are on a 100Mb ethernet link. Considering all this
> parameters I need some advice about the choice of my hard disks.
> I'm planing to buy a StorageWorks array from Hp (DAS) but I don't know
> what's the best choice for the hard disks. I'm pretty sure that a fast
> hard disk is better for performance but it's not for money saving :),
> I'm wondering if big sata disks of 2TB/7.2k rpm are fast enough to
> achieve my backups in time or is it better to buy faster/sas disks to be
> sure it's done in time.

100Mb == 100mbit? 100Mbit will result in about 9MB/s . To transfer 3,5TB
over ethernet you would need about 108hours.  you need _at least_ 1Gbit
ethernet on the backup-server.

if there are millions of small files involved on the backedup servers,
there will be much less throuhput. also do not place the DB data not on
the same spindles as the backup volumes.

IMHO the backup disks will not be the bottleneck if you go with SATA 7.2k
drives. but check the specs - i'm sure HP is providing performance data
somewhere on the homepage (or ask your dealer)

- Thomas