Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to make incremental backups consider their own pool ONLY?

2010-05-04 07:13:14
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to make incremental backups consider their own pool ONLY?
From: Martin Simmons <martin AT lispworks DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Tue, 4 May 2010 12:10:09 +0100

> That's what I thought :)
>
> I want to do this for our company's backup retension policy.. maybe
> there's a better way?
>
> I.e., I have 3 backup sets:
>
> 7 daily "tapes"
> 4 weekly "tapes"
> 12 monthly "tapes"
>
> I can restore a file from any day in the past week, any week (but not a
> specific day) in the past month, and any month in the past year.

Do you have any Full backups in this schedule?  I think relying on a large
number of incremental backups is somewhat risky, because it prevents recovery
if any one of them is damaged for some reason.

Your requirements can be achieved by doing

Full backup every month
Differential backup every week
Incremental backup every day

or

Full backup every month
Full backup every week
Differential backup every day

You can skip the daily backup on the days when the weekly is done and likewise
for weekly/monthly.

__Martin