Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd

2010-05-04 00:02:08
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] Idea/suggestion for dedicated disk-based sd
From: Morty Abzug <morty AT frakir DOT org>
To: Kern Sibbald <kern AT sibbald DOT com>
Date: Mon, 3 May 2010 23:45:56 -0400
On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 08:39:04AM +0200, Kern Sibbald wrote:

> However, from what I see, this is basically similar to what BackuPC
> does.  The big problem I have with it is that it does not scale well
> to thousands of machines.

file dedup (rather than block dedup) could mostly be handled at the
catalog level with another level of indirection.  I.e. instead of a
catalog entry containing file metadata and where the file lives on
media, it would contain file metadata and a foreign key to a table
that maps hashes to where the file lives on the media.

- Morty