Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Any takers, pls? Bacula Sudo Authentication Failure

2010-03-20 10:33:44
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Any takers, pls? Bacula Sudo Authentication Failure
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:30:53 +0200
"Lucio Godoy" <luciocfgodoy AT hotmail DOT com> kirjoitti viestissä
news:SNT114-W10965629EF9696AF78C61CCC2A0 AT phx DOT gbl...

> Hi All;
>
> I have Bacula 3.0.2-1 installed on a RHEL 5.4 and it works well without
> any issues, but every day I get the following message from my log file
> watch program:
>
> sudo:
> Authentication Failures:
> (0) -> bacula: 1 Time(s)
>

> Had a look with visudo, bacula is not present there, should it be?
>
> Any clues.

As such, Bacula runs fine in RHEL 5.4 (I use CentOS, but it's the same)
without any need of sudo rights. BUT, it is possible you may have written a
custom configuration that would try to use sudo for some special task. As an
example, just yesterday I was testing the use of ether-wake (seems to
require to be run as root) to power-up a NAS box I'm planning to use from
bacula-sd.

So, the question now becomes this: did you set up this Bacula install by
yourself, or did you just inherit its admin duties from someone else? I
would say that never grant sudo rights to anyone if you don't know why they
are needed.

Study the logs, and try to find out what it is about. For example, is
certain bacula job starting always at the same time when that event appears?
Either it has to be some custom config of your installation, or someone evil
process running as bacula may reside in your system... the latter might be
the case if you got your install rpms from some untrusted source.

--
TiN