Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] RunScript questions

2010-03-20 10:12:27
Subject: [Bacula-users] RunScript questions
From: "Timo Neuvonen" <timo-news AT tee-en DOT net>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 20 Mar 2010 16:08:05 +0200
I have below a few rather spesific questions about Bacula's RunScript
and related commands. Before bothering the devel-list, I decided to
try if someone in the user list could answer these:

-1-
Is there any difference if I use RunScript or RunBeforeJob directive to
run commands before execution of a job? To me they look two different
ways of specifying the same thing.

I think RunBeforeJob (etc) existed before the more versatile RunScript, so
is RunBeforeJob (etc) basically a piece of history that may be obsoleted in
the future (since everything could be done with RunScript too) or does
RunBeforeJob offer something that cannot be done with RunScript? Is use of
either one recommended when writing a new configuration?

-2-
Bacula 5.0.x manual says that possible values for "RunsWhen" in RunScript
definition are:
Before|After|Always|AfterVSS

What is the option "Always" here? Is it "run before and after job", or what
does it mean? Maybe this is not so important for me, I just got curious...

-3-
For server-side scripts, %v is substituted with volume name in command
invocation. In before- scripts, this propably is the first volume that will
be used for the job, but how about in the after- scripts, if the job spanned
over multiple volumes? Is it the first or the last or the last full volume
used, or something not-so-accurately specified?

-4-
>>From the manual:
----
Run Before Job = <command> The specified command is run as an
external program prior to running the current Job.

Run After Job = <command> The specified command is run as an
external program if the current job terminates normally
----
For file devices, SD has mount/unmount commands for mounting (external)
disks. Is SD functionality considered as "a part of job" referred above, so
is SD's mount command run only after the RunBeforeJob command specified in
the director's job configuration, and SD's unmount command before director's
RunAfterJob command? Or vice versa?

I'm sorry if this looks like nitpicking, but I'm setting up a system to
automatically power up - mount - unmount - power off external disk
subsystems used as a backup media. So the execution order etc in some
special cases may be important.

Regards,
Timo