Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula TUI?

2010-03-19 11:38:53
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula TUI?
From: Moray Henderson <Moray.Henderson AT ict-software DOT org>
To: "'Silver Salonen'" <silver AT ultrasoft DOT ee>
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 2010 15:36:09 +0000
Silver Salonen wrote:
[snip]
>> We're really aiming for a menu/forms interface to Bacula: there would
be
>> a configuration section for managing the config files, and also
>> hopefully a more friendly front-end to bconsole.
>
>This sounds very interesting. Have you already started work on this
piece
>of
>software? What's the development platform for the project?

Development platform is on CentOS 5.  Although I have used dialog(1) for
UI in the past, I am not sure it is up to the UI complexities needed for
Bacula configuration files.  I was thinking of an application in either
perl (which I know better) or python (which has the snack/newt library
available).  Unfortunately I got pulled off onto another project before
I had anything more than a tentative object model for parsing the .conf
files.  If this is something that would be useful to a lot of people,
though, we might be able to bump the priority up again.  Our own
requirements are fairly limited, though: we would pre-define much of the
configuration, and only allow certain specific customisations.

Moray.
"To err is human.  To purr, feline"