Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers

2010-03-16 11:11:23
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Backing up more than 200 servers
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Rodrigo Fernandes <rodrigoefer AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 16 Mar 2010 11:09:24 -0400
> I wonder if someone on the list have knowledge about how to climb the bacula
> to backup over 200 servers?  It´s is possible?

Yes of course. Other bacula users on the list do that. I have heard
reports of 1000 machines being backed up by bacula.

> Currently, my "Max Concurrent Jobs" on Bacula-dir, bacula-fd is equal to 60
> and bacula-sd is equal to 10.
>
> I have 50 servers that run the full backup over the weekend (due to the
> large volume of data) and servers with smaller volume of data run the full
> backup during the week. The problem is that due to the large number of
> servers (more than 200 during the week) the incremental backup ends up
> creating problems during the weekend, causing backups Full canceled due to
> problems with bacula-dir (because of the variable max concurrent jobs of
> the file bacula-dir exceeded the 60 jobs).

How does full get canceled? I am confused.

> I was looking at the list of bacula and found an email from Phil Stracchino
> explaining "how the concurrency jobs works".
>
> It's really necessary to create more than 1 bacula-fd to control the jobs?
> (How can I do that. I can use any port?).

I did not look at the Phil Stracchino. Don't you have bacula installed
on all 200 machines?

>I think to set the "Max Concurrent
> Jobs" in bacula-dir and bacula-fd to 100 and limit the "Max Concurrent Jobs"
> in bacula-sd to the number of jobs that I really need, considering the
> problem with incremental backup.
>
> Can anybody have some idea about how to resolve this issue?
>
> My backup server has the bacula version 2.4.4-1 installed via tar.gz in a
> Red Hat Enterprise Server 5.4 x86_64

You should really upgrade to 5.0.1 if possible.

> I appreciate any help right now and apologize for the long text.
>
> Rodrigo Fernandes

John M. Drescher