Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP File Daemon - Service Stops With Unknown Error

2010-03-11 13:08:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP File Daemon - Service Stops With Unknown Error
From: Drew Bentley <bacula.user AT gmail DOT com>
To: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
Date: Thu, 11 Mar 2010 12:05:50 -0600
On Wed, Mar 10, 2010 at 11:46 AM, Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com> wrote:

> On 3/9/2010 10:02 AM, Bob Hetzel wrote:
>> 3 things that have given me grief due to the windows FD stopping or being
>> unresponsive (but still mysteriously running)...
>> a) buggy network driver--in one case I was able to update the driver to fix.
>>

> I'll second that one. I have had several occasions of a buggy NIC driver
> causing the TCP connection to be dropped. In all cases it was fixed by
> an updated driver, or by turning off the NIC driver's power management
> features. Particularly for laptops, it seems unfortunately common for
> the driver to turn off the NIC to save power, even though there is an
> active TCP connection. Web browsers and such simply re-connect, so the
> dropped connection isn't noticed. But TCP connections for Bacula may be
> open for quite some time, so Bacula is more sensitive to network problems.

The only reason I'm ruling this out is that the bacula-fd service dies
when it's just sitting idle, usually dying well before the director
makes contact to initiate a backup request. All other network seems
okay and the person that uses Quickbooks never has issues connecting,
etc.

I'll check further but at this time, I've installed the bacula-fd
client on several other machine of same OS and architecture/hardware
and those are not dying. It's starting to point to some service or
process I'm overlooking perhaps killing it or maybe just a bad
install. I might start by reinstalling bacula and see what happens
then.

Thanks,

-Drew