Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP File Daemon - Service Stops With Unknown Error

2010-03-10 13:08:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows XP File Daemon - Service Stops With Unknown Error
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 2010 12:46:39 -0500
On 3/9/2010 10:02 AM, Bob Hetzel wrote:
> 3 things that have given me grief due to the windows FD stopping or being
> unresponsive (but still mysteriously running)...
> a) buggy network driver--in one case I was able to update the driver to fix.

I'll second that one. I have had several occasions of a buggy NIC driver
causing the TCP connection to be dropped. In all cases it was fixed by
an updated driver, or by turning off the NIC driver's power management
features. Particularly for laptops, it seems unfortunately common for
the driver to turn off the NIC to save power, even though there is an
active TCP connection. Web browsers and such simply re-connect, so the
dropped connection isn't noticed. But TCP connections for Bacula may be
open for quite some time, so Bacula is more sensitive to network problems.