Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-17 16:32:20
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: Bob Hetzel <beh AT case DOT edu>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 16:29:32 -0500
> From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
> Subject: Re:
> To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
>
> Hi,
>
> 16.02.2010 16:48, Bob Hetzel wrote:
>
>> > Last year I tried some experimentation with bare-metal restore using
>> > bacula
>> > and bart-pe of a Windows boot volume and I never did get it to work
>> > properly.  I believe there are least two pitfalls, probably more:
>> >
>> > 1) How to make it bootable?  You can restore all the important files but
>> > getting it to boot is another matter.
>
> This is about Windows 2k3 -
> using diskpart I never had a problem getting the system bootable.
> The simple case - one partition only - is rather straightforward:
> run diskpart on the recovery system, select the (only) disk to work
> with, "clean", "create partition primary", "active", "assign letter=c".
> Quit diskpart. Format the disk with NTFS.
> Restore
> Reboot
> handle all the other things to be considered - typically, boot into
> Directory Service Restore Mode or what that's called, apply the system
> state backup you hopefully have.
> You might need more reboots and more steps in between, depending on
> the applications you need to handle. I don't know about IIS, but SQL
> server, for example, typically also needs manual restores of data
> backups and log replays.

Are there any files which specifically should NOT be restored... perhaps I
overwrote a boot file that was created by diskpart?

>> > 2) I couldn't get far enough for this to be an issue but I believe
>> > bacula's
>> > handling of "Junction Points"--it gripes but doesn't back them up, will
>> > break many things too.  Can anybody shed light on whether these will be
>> > auto-created by the OS if they're missing?
>
> No idea... yet.
>
>> > Has anybody actually documented fully the steps to get a Windows Server
>> > 2003 bare-metal bart-pe restore working like this?
>
> I'm working on it right now...

I'm sure I'll not be the only one that will be very indebted to you on that.

>> > Regarding the IIS metabase, if you go into the IIS Manager app, then right
>> > click on Properties for the local computer, then tick the setting to
>> > "Enable Direct Metabase Edit" you should be able to just back up the
>> > metabase folder as regular files.  If you stop IIS then restore the files
>> > MBSchema.xml and MetaBase.xml as regular files you should be back to where
>> > you were with the IIS config at least.  All the web content, and CGI
>> > applications, and dll's is another matter, of course.
>
> The latter would - hopefully - be handled by the normal backup and
> system state backup. The Metabase... well, I don't even know what
> that's good for, but seeing that you can force that to exist as
> regular files is already good!

The Metabase is windows speak for the IIS config.  Sadly, I believe that's
not included by default as part of the system state.  Ditto with the keys
needed for it.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269586