Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-15 14:18:42
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:15:24 +0000
>For such a full backup, you need some secondary windows installation
>for the resore itself - for Server 2003 and XP, BartPE is a convenient
>way to get such a thing. For newer Windows versions, you probably best
>use Microsoft's PE system (I haven't actually built such a beast yet).

I cant say that wont work, but I would strongly recommend not to approach
this that way, I would put money on an installation plagued with issues.

Reinstall windows, reinstall apps with appropriate methods (like exchange
cant just be re-installed new, setup needs switch's), then add in only
applicable data. You are *will* break all sorts of things pulling the rug
out from under complicated applications like AD/Exchange etc...

>I would expect problems when, for whatever reasons, you need to
>restore for example IIS (meta)data only, as I'm pretty sure that doing
>this in a running windows will not result in a merge of the data in
>the live system and the restored data, but only in an error (more
>likely) or loss of the current data by overwriting with backed up
>files (less likely).

Yup, Metabase is involved, AFAIK it best done from a system state or using
the provided scripts which you can script with a runbeforejob and let Bacula
snag it after. See msdn and technet, you'll see all that's involved in that
ugly one.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc783795%28WS.10%29.aspx