Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-15 14:07:06
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
From: "Joseph L. Casale" <jcasale AT activenetwerx DOT com>
To: 'Chris Knipe' <savage AT savage.za DOT org>, "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 19:03:52 +0000
>>From what I can see under the backups, VSS is successfully being used,
>backing up files (open or closed), MSDE, IIS, and various other things
>- just like I would like to expect.

Looks fine to me...

>What I would like to know however, is how to restore these VSS snapshots?

What to understand here is you have bypassed the user tools to backup things
like database's when you use vss. Not that is a problem, it just presents some
additional considerations.

MSDE doesn't have a mgmt interface, so you use osql to interact with it. When
you
snap the file system with a db on it (someone who knows comment here) you need
snap *all* drives that contain data related to the writer, for example, I have
an
Exchange 2003 server with db's and logs on two arrays, if I only snap the db
drive
the exchange writer gets disabled as it cant quiesce the logs as well... I
suppose
baculas client knows this?

Anyway, you don't have a dump from that MSDE db, you have basically detached a
copy.
So you need the mdf/ldf file restored to a temp location, then you would need to
re-attach the copy: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/325003 SQL BOL shall inform
you
of the nuances surrounding this, I presume you would detach the existing copy,
move
the files away, move your backups in place, then re-attach.

Etc...

>For example, how can I instruct bacula to restore IIS and MSDE, or only the
>Event Log
>which was backed up through VSS, but not restore any physical files and/or the
>entire system?

You don't/cant :)

This method of doing things requires some manual intervention and knowledge as
you are
not using native backup/restore tools that the application vendor provides,
there's no
click-click way here. I suggest as always you test this!

hth,
jlc