Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups

2010-02-17 17:38:41
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] VSS Windows Backups
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 14:26:04 -0800

Junction points are Windows equivalent of soft links. They are used for
Side-by-side assemblies (SxS). Most people actually come across the same issue
not because of junction points, but because the WinSxS directory starts filling
up their hard disk. Windows XP actually also had junction points and WinSxS in
certain cases, but with Vista, Microsoft rearchitected the whole operating
system to rely heavily on SxS.

Side-by-side allows you to have multiple versions of the same DLL installed at
the same time.

These junction points are not (and cannot be) auto-created, and they are
critical to Windows Vista/2008 and later. Without the junction points, you
basically have a huge tangle of files but not a correctly working operating
system.

Windows is installed in the C:\Windows drive (by default). Traditionally, in
Windows, most the files that make up Windows are installed into the various
subdirectories - most of them into the well known System32. With SxS
assemblies, all files are installed into C:\Windows\WinSxS. The junction points
point to these files from where older versions of Windows used to have these
files.

When you download one of Microsoft's software updates, they get installed into
the WinSxS directory, as well, and never overwrite anything. Then the
respective junction points are updated. That makes uninstalling software
updates easier.

Another side effect is that you usually no longer need the Windows DVD to
install or remove components - all files are simply copied to the WinSxS
folder, and installing/removing features is as simple as adding or removing the
correct junction points.

But Windows probably won't even boot (I haven't tried, but that's my guess)
without the correct junction points in place - and Windows has no way of
knowing which ones should be in place. Worse, after a restore, the new correct
files might be in place, but the junction points may still point to the old
incorrect ones.

http://blog.tiensivu.com/aaron/archives/1306-Demystifying-the-WinSxS-directory-in-Windows-XP,-Vista-and-Server-20032008.html

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7hardware/thread/450e0396-6ba6-4078-8ca0-b16bf4e22ccf
 (look for the post from Debbie that explains a lot)

> The Metabase is windows speak for the IIS config.  Sadly, I believe
> that's
> not included by default as part of the system state.  Ditto with the
> keys
> needed for it.
>
> http://support.microsoft.com/kb/269586

Be aware that this article is about Windows 2000. In Windows 2003, ntbackup
does back up the Metabase as part of the systemstate (at least according to
Wikipedia http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NTBackup - I haven't tested it and
couldn't find a Microsoft reference for that).

IIS 7.0 no longer has a metabase in the first place.