Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB

2009-11-27 07:29:35
Subject: [Bacula-users] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 2009 13:23:38 +0100
[crosspost to -users and -devel list]

Hi,

we are happily using bacula since a few years and already backing up
some dozens of TB (large video files) to tape.

In the next 2-3 years the amount of data will be growing to 300+ TB.
We are looking for some very pricy solutions for the primary storage
at the moment (NetApp etc). But we (I) are also looking if it is
possible to go on with the way we store the data right now. Which is
just some large raid arrays and backup2tape.

I've no problem with the primary storage and 10 very big raid boxes
(high availability is not needed).  What frightens me is to backup all
the data. Most files will be written once and maybe never been
accessed again. But the data need to be online and there is a
requirement for backup and the ability to restore deleted files
(retention time can be different, going from 6 months to a couple of
years).

The snapshot feature of some commerical products is a very nice
feature for taking backups and it's a huge benefit that only the
deltas are stored.

Backup2tape means that with the classic Full/Diff/Incr setup we'll
need many tapes. Even if the data on the primary storage won't change.

Backup2disk has the disadvantage that a corrupt filesystem (been
there, seen that...) can ruin TB's of backed up data. And we will need
file storage that is much bigger than the primary storage (keeping x
versions of a file....).

Anyone else here with the same problem? Anyone (maybe Kern or Eric)
here that can tell if one of the upcoming new bacula features (dedup?)
could help to solve the problem with the massive amount of tapes
needed and the growing time windows and bandwidth for backups?

Any thought?

Thanks, Ralf