Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB

2009-11-29 15:15:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Sun, 29 Nov 2009 12:11:55 -0800

I think you may be right. I haven't upgraded to bacula 3.x yet, so I haven't
looked into that.

In any case, my script-based scheme would result in many smaller (and possibly
more manageable) backups, instead of accurate backup consolidating everything
into one huge blob (at least that's how I understand accurate backup to work).

> > The actual backup can be done several different ways. You could use
> > bacula. Or you could simply use cp, scp, rsync or similar. After the
> > backup has completed, you delete the links in /to_backup.
> >
> > That way, you only back up files that have changed, and still have a
> > full set of files on the backup.
>
> I'm not sure how this will work in case of a restore. In general I
> don't like such "hacks" ;) It could be an additional cause of erorrs
> and it might be hard to check if the backup is really working.

Yeah, I hear you. For this type of data, I would actually prefer to keep it
outside Bacula (and use cp etc.) for exactly that reason. You won't have to dig
through the bacula database and hope that all the tapes (or hard disk files)
match the db or, worse, re-extract terabytes of data with bextract. All you
have to do is run an ls -lah and confirm that the right files and file sizes
still exist. Restore would be as simple as copying the correct file back to its
original location.

Come to think about it - I don't recall exactly what type of disaster you were
trying to protect against. That may well make a difference in what the best
strategy is.