Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB

2009-11-30 07:09:57
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] [Bacula-devel] RFC: backing up hundreds of TB
From: Ralf Gross <Ralf-Lists AT ralfgross DOT de>
To: bacula-devel AT lists.sourceforge DOT net, bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT ne
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 2009 15:38:36 +0100
Kern Sibbald schrieb:
> > [...]
> > Anyone else here with the same problem? Anyone (maybe Kern or Eric)
> > here that can tell if one of the upcoming new bacula features (dedup?)
> > could help to solve the problem with the massive amount of tapes
> > needed and the growing time windows and bandwidth for backups?
>
> Last week Eric and I visited a customer that has the following in just 1 of 5
> datacenters:
> - 10TB/day backed up
> - 800+ Jobs/day
> - 125TB total data backed up
> - Growing rapidly
> - No tape backup (a bit unusual)

Can you write a bit more about their backup2disk setup? They must have
many very large raid arrays witch they then use as bacula sd-devices.

> It does take some big iron to run such operations, but Bacula can and is
> handling it. Obviously it takes professional configuration and tuning of the
> hardware, systems, and Bacula.

No doubt.

> We are discussing various ways of doing deduplication, better Windows backup,
> better and faster bare metal recovery, better reporting, archival storage,
> multiple datacenters coordination, ... as part of development plans for 2010.

Accurate Backup together with Dedup would be a great feature (Bacula
already used the database for Accurate Backup, so adding a dedup
feature seems not too far away).

> The above is only one example.  There are a lot of such sites out there, some
> we know about, and others that are doing their own thing with Bacula.  Many
> want significant funded development, which will provide opportunities for
> Bacula programmers (if anyone is a Windows expert programmer, please contact
> me).
>
> Since we (Bacula Systems) are an full Open Source company, this will also add
> a nice number of new features and capabilities for Bacula, since all code
> created for funded development goes into the project.
>
> Good luck,
>
> Kern
>
> PS: tip -- a key to reducing time windows is to ensure you have the right
> bandwidth into the SD and that your catalog is properly tuned (probably
> running PostgreSQL).

I'm happy with the performance of bacula and our LTO4 drives. A single
job is able to write with 130 MB/s to tape ;)

Ralf