Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula features

2009-10-30 15:06:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula features
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer AT satx.rr DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 15:02:53 -0400
On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 1:59 PM, Leslie Rhorer <lrhorer AT satx.rr DOT com>
wrote:
>> It performs the same function as the disk-changer shell script that
>> ships with Bacula, but with some enhancements. Removable drives are
>> treated as magazines containing some number of volume files. An
>> autochanger has some number of magazine bays into which magazine drives
>> can be "inserted".
>
>        I don't think an auto-changer script would be useful for me.  I'm
> only going to have one external hot-swap slot.  Back to one of my original
> questions, though: how does Bacula identify a particular backup drive to the
> user?  Suppose, for example, a requested restore requires drive #7 of a 10
> drive backup set.  How does Bacula identify the drive to the user?   How does
> it know and what does it do if the user inserts the wrong drive?
> (Obviously, part of the answer to the latter is the necessary information
> won't be on the drive, but surely it doesn't have to scan the entire drive
> to find that out?)

To get recycling to work most likely your hard drive will need to be
divided into multiple volumes or you can do this with 3 or more hard
drives each containing 1 volume. The vdisk changer will help in the
case where you have few hard drives with multiple volumes on them. In
this case each drive can be considered an autochanger magazine
containing a fixed number of volumes. When you swap out drives, you
tell bacula by the update slots command.

John