Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula features

2009-10-30 20:03:21
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Bacula features
From: Jari Fredriksson <jarif AT iki DOT fi>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Sat, 31 Oct 2009 01:57:50 +0200

31.10.2009 0:55, Leslie Rhorer kirjoitti:
>       Is the file name Bacula uses easily identifiable?  IOW, if I name
> the volume drive01v01, will I see a file named something similar to
> drive01vol01 in the file system?  I'm not sure I see any advantage to having
> multiple partitions on a drive for my application.  Can multiple volumes
> reside in a single partition?  Indeed, I am still not sure what the
> advantage for my situation would be for multiple backup volumes, unless each
> volume comprises a particular backup set done on a particular date?

The file in the disk will be named exactly what you specify:
drive01vol01 if you so wish.

Amount of Volumes is mostly about recycling. When Bacula recycles (frees
old media to a new backup) it does so on volume basis. If it needs to
wrote a volume again, it empties the whole volume, and starts writing again.

If it's ok to flush a whopping 1TB-3TB at once, one volume per media
might be OK. But smaller files (volumes) keep old data longer on the
disk, at Bacula automatically manages the files (volumes), no matter how
many of them are there.

--
http://www.iki.fi/jarif/

You will be awarded some great honor.