Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks

2009-10-30 12:38:03
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 30 Oct 2009 12:34:35 -0400
Mgr. Martin Fabuš wrote:

>> You could probably do this with 4 pools. Each drive would contain
>> volumes in two pools, one for full backups and one for incremental
>> backups. For each client there would be two jobs, one backing up to
>> drive 1 using pools "full1" and "incremental1" and another backing up to
>> drive 2 using pools "full2" and "incremental2". The two jobs for each
>> client would use two different schedules so that the jobs run on
>> opposite weeks. A schedule for odd weeks of the month might use
>> something like Run = Level=Incremental 1st,3rd,5th sun-sat at 21:00.
>> Only schedule the daily incrementals, and then run the yearly full
>> backups manually.
>>
> Good idea, that's exactly what I was looking for. I have implemented
> it as You have suggested. I will see if it will work.
> I have created only 2 pools - full and increments are going to a one pool.
> EvenPool & OddPool

I don't think that will do what you want. The reason for 4 pools is to
keep the incrementals on drive 1 relative to the fulls on drive 1, and
the incrementals on drive 2 relative to the fulls on drive 2. If you
have only 2 pools, then the incrementals will be relative to the last
full backup, regardless of which drive the last full backup was written
to. Similarly, the reason for 2 jobs for each client is because one job
writes only to disk 1 and the other only to disk 2. That way a restore
will only require 1 drive.