Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks

2009-10-29 10:03:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Mgr. Martin Fabuš <Fabus AT prosoft DOT sk>
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 09:59:39 -0400
2009/10/29 "Mgr. Martin Fabuš" <Fabus AT prosoft DOT sk>:
>     Hi All,
>
> I would like to configure the Bacula in following way
>
> use 2 external hard disks connected over the USB
> change these 2 HDDs once per week (let's say on friday afternoon)
> every day doing a backup - incremental (of several servers)
> once per year do a full backup
> if one external HDD dies - I want to loose the backup only for one week
>
> i.e. on every HDD, there should be one full backup
> the incremental backup after the disk change (friday) should follow the last
> increment on that HDD (not on the other one)
> one can restore correctly the data only from 1 HDD
>
> Is such a configuration possible? If yes give me a rough idea, please. I
> hope I can find out the details.

I would start with a bacula vchanger
http://sourceforge.net/projects/vchanger/

This is very well documented so the installation is not that difficult
and will make dealing with recycling and removing the volumes much
better. When I created my vchanger setup this week I had only 1
problem I needed to specify the user and group for the
/usr/local/vchanger command in the bacula-sd.conf file like the
examples show for standalone operation.

NOTES:
On the vchanger each drive is considered as a virtual autochanger
magazine. Each slot is a volume, so after defining how many slots the
changer will have you need to calculate how big to limit each volume
so that recycling works. This can be (hard drive size - some
filesystem overhead) / slots. I would use the autofs method of
mounting with UUIDs. This works well. Use the blkid command to get a
UUID for your storage drives.

After that I would adjust my scheduling to run the full backups on
Friday night so that after a change Full backups will be made.

John