Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks

2009-10-29 10:52:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] weekly backup on 2 external hard disks
From: Josh Fisher <jfisher AT pvct DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 29 Oct 2009 10:33:00 -0400
Mgr. Martin Fabuš wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I would like to configure the Bacula in following way
>
>     * use 2 external hard disks connected over the USB
>     * change these 2 HDDs once per week (let's say on friday afternoon)
>     * every day doing a backup - incremental (of several servers)
>     * once per year do a full backup
>     * if one external HDD dies - I want to loose the backup only for
>       one week
>           o i.e. on every HDD, there should be one full backup
>           o the incremental backup after the disk change (friday)
>             should follow the last increment on that HDD (not on the
>             other one)
>           o one can restore correctly the data only from 1 HDD
>

> Is such a configuration possible? If yes give me a rough idea, please.
> I hope I can find out the details.

You could probably do this with 4 pools. Each drive would contain
volumes in two pools, one for full backups and one for incremental
backups. For each client there would be two jobs, one backing up to
drive 1 using pools "full1" and "incremental1" and another backing up to
drive 2 using pools "full2" and "incremental2". The two jobs for each
client would use two different schedules so that the jobs run on
opposite weeks. A schedule for odd weeks of the month might use
something like Run = Level=Incremental 1st,3rd,5th sun-sat at 21:00.
Only schedule the daily incrementals, and then run the yearly full
backups manually.

A year sounds like a long time between full backups. With 180 odd
incrementals for each client you'll likely run out of disk space on a
USB drive and defeat the purpose. With differential backups run every
now and then, you could delete the no longer needed incrementals and
consolidate space.