Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Out of Disk Space

2009-10-16 02:51:09
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Out of Disk Space
From: Arno Lehmann <al AT its-lehmann DOT de>
To: "Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 08:47:40 +0200
Hi,

16.10.2009 00:38, Dupree, Craig wrote:
> Hi Arno,
>
>> Theoretically, yes, though it will lock up your tape drive for a
>>  while, and might leave you with an incomplete backup. If the job
>> was actually finished writing to tape, and you're absolutely sure
>>  everything you need ended up on tape, you could do that.
>
> A full backup would lock the tape drive up for longer though.

If that's the case, use bscan. Although I found that bscanning usually
takes longer than writing, though there are some factors involved
which make that hard to guess - starting with your network and client
throughput during backup, if spooling is used, and the catalog
performance.

>  At
> least the tape drive is actually hooked up to the system.  I
> suppose I should just bite the bullet, and backup again.   That way
> I know that I'm safe.

That's surely right...

> The error was:
>
> Fatal error: Can't fill File table Query failed: INSERT INTO File
> (FileIndex, JobId, PathId, FilenameId, LStat, MD5)SELECT
> batch.FileIndex, batch.JobId, Path.PathId,
> Filename.FilenameId,batch.LStat, batch.MD5 FROM batch JOIN Path ON
> (batch.Path = Path.Path) JOIN Filename ON (batch.Name =
> Filename.Name): ERR=Disk is full writing './bacula/File.MYD'
> (Errcode: 28). Waiting for someone to free space... Retry in 60
>
> The director claimed that it was inserting the attributes.  This
> was the first clue that there was problem, as this was what it said
> at 6:00 am when I woke up checked the system out.  I remember
> thinking "yea it finished."   Then later when I got in to work, I
> pulled my checklist off of the printer, logged in to the backup
> server since that is check 1.  It still said "inserting
> attributes", and then when I got to step 2 (check disk space) then
> I knew what the problem was.

Hmm... the cases when I had that same problem usually resolved without
permanent erros, but I assume there might be some timeouts either in
MySQL or Bacula. In your case, the disk full condition might have
existed for too long to Bacula to automatically recover.

But this seems to confirm that the disk full was indeed the underlying
problem, and the insertion of the attributes finally failed.

>>> This is for the older 2.x release.  I plan to upgrade to 3.x
>>> over the Winter break.
>
>> Perhaps better to add more disk space first :-)
>
> Yes.  Or at least re-installing the system so it is laid out
> better.

I love LVM :-)

Arno

--