Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to avoid "The sizes do not match!"?

2009-10-16 04:19:49
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to avoid "The sizes do not match!"?
From: Christian Gaul <christian.gaul AT otop DOT de>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Fri, 16 Oct 2009 10:16:40 +0200
epiuse schrieb:
> Hi there,
>
> We're currently using bacula 3.0.2 to backup some windows XP and Vista
> clients.
>
> Every now and then, while a backup (Diff or Full) are running, the user may
> turn of his/her laptop, network issues may occur or whatever else may cause a
> connection error and then obviously the backup fails.
>
> My problem is that each time this happens and the next client's backup starts
> to make use of the same volume, it gives me the "Error: Bacula cannot write
> on disk Volume "Diff_Vol0217" because: The sizes do not match!" error message
> and marks the volume in error in the catalog.
>
> Is there any wau to avoid this happening each time?
>
> Pool definition:
> Pool {
>         Name = Diff
>         Label Format = "Diff_Vol"
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes           # Bacula can automatically recycle Volumes
>         AutoPrune = yes         # Prune expired volumes
>         Volume Retention = 3 days
>         Maximum Volumes = 7
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 40G
> }
>
> Thanks in advance :)

Do you have spooling enabled? Enabling spooling should work around a
failure on the client side during the backup during writing of the spool
(the job will just fail), if the spooling part gets done OK then bacula
will start writing to the real volume.

Note: this will only really work if your spool can hold the full backup,
otherwise something can go wrong during the multiple spooling /
despooling phases.

Note2: iirc bacula wont actually finish the job on the client side until
the despooling is also completed so things may still go wrong during the
despooling phase even if the SD already has all the data when the client
goes away, but the time to despool is (for me) much faster than getting
data directly from the client, so the window for failure gets a lot smaller.