Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?

2009-10-15 22:04:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?
From: Jose Perez <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:36:35 -0500

> Bacula's retention times for volumes are based on the date the volume was
> last written.  So, every time Bacula writes a backup job to a volume, your
> 15-day retention clock starts over from zero.  As long as your volume's
> status is Append, bacula will keep writing to it.

That's the kind of explanation I was looking for. Now I understand why
my Volume Retention period was never being 'working' in my big Volume.

> With a physical, magnetic tape volume, you will eventually reach the end of
> the tape, Bacula will mark the volume FULL, and move on to the next volume.
> With logical (disk file) volumes, there is no natural limit on the size of
> the volume other than the size of the underlying disk partition.  Since you
> probably don't want Bacula to fill up your entire partition, you need to
> place an artificial limit on the size of your volumes.
>
> There are several directives you can include in your Pool definition which
> will accomplish this:
>
>     Maximum Volume Jobs
>     Maximum Volume Files
>     Maximum Volume Bytes
>     Volume Use Duration

Now I'd like to be able to store (and so be able to restore from)
backups of last 90 days; Older backups must be simply erased, so to
achieve this ... would I need something like these?

Client {
  File Retention = 90 days
  Job Retention = 90 days
}

Pool {
  Label Format = Vol-
  Volume Use Duration = 10 days
  Volume Retention = 90 days
}

Am I right? And the above will be equivalent to omit File and Job
Retention directives but preserving Volume Retention at 90 days?

With this Pool configuration Bacula would create about 9 Volumes (from
Vol-0001 to Vol-0009, one each ten days) within 90 days. Am I right?

So if what I believe is true then Bacula will create a tenth Volume
(Vol-0010) and just after this being marked as Used (past 10 days
more) Bacula would choose Vol-0001 to mark it as Purged and overwrite
it (Recycle), Am I right too?

So according to this Volume strategy management, Bacula will NEVER
create an eleventh Volume (Vol-0011) because would keep recycling
Vol-0002, Vol-0003, ..., Vol-00010 (and then Vol-0001 again). Am I
right?

I think I'm so close to understand better Bacula Volume Management.

Thanks a lot