Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?

2009-10-15 20:53:02
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?
From: John Drescher <drescherjm AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jose Perez <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>, bacula-users <Bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 20:47:14 -0400
On Thu, Oct 15, 2009 at 8:02 PM, Jose Perez <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com> wrote:
> Hi people:
>
> I'm a little confused about how bacula deals with Pools and Volumes.
> I'm using Automatic labeling with a Pool that uses a unique Volume (as
> file disk) that is continuosly increasing its size. I have a unique
> volume named Vol-0001 with a size of 900 GB and status Append.
>
> If I pretend to preserve Files for 30 days, Jobs for 60 days.. so When
> my big volume will be marked as Full or Used to be able to get
> recycled? These are my Pool and Clients configurations:
>
> Client {
>  Name = srv-bacula
>  Password = e7058a46df6c0af918108003a2051a648a211fa4
>  Address = 192.168.100.221
>  FDPort = 9102
>  Catalog = MyCatalog
>  File Retention = 30 days
>  Job Retention = 2 months
> }
>
> Pool {
>  Name = Default
>  Pool Type = Backup
>  Recycle = yes
>  AutoPrune = yes
>  Label Format = Vol-
>  Volume Retention = 15 days
> }
>
> I'm not sure when Bacula will need a new volume nor will mark this
> volume ready for get recycled. I understand that a volume with Append
> status can't be marked as Purged. Am I right?

If you did not set any condition to limit the disk volume size or
usage the volume will grow till it exhausts your storage then the
volume retention period of 15 days kicks in.

See the first part of the following link:
http://www.bacula.org/en/dev-manual/Automatic_Volume_Recycling.html

You need to set one or more of the following:

    * Use Volume Once = yes
    * Volume Use Duration = ttt
    * Maximum Volume Jobs = nnn
    * Maximum Volume Bytes = mmm