Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Compatibility with older bacula-fd

2009-10-15 21:22:47
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Compatibility with older bacula-fd
From: Cedric Tefft <logicloop AT gmail DOT com>
To: Marek Simon <marek.simon AT trustica DOT cz>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 18:19:09 -0700
Marek Simon wrote:
> Hi,
> I have a box with pretty old operating system, which cannot be upgraded,
> but I need to have there a bacula client. The newest version I have run
> there was 1.36.6. I have Director 2.4.4. The full backup was OK, but
> when I start an Incremental Job I got this Error:
> 15-říj 14:40 the-host-fd:
> the.host.cz_-_default-redhat-set.2009-10-15_14.33.28.37 Fatal error:
> job.c:1037 Unknown backup level: incremental
>
> WTF?
> The documentation says that version 1.36 suported incremental backups.
> Do I something wrong?

Daemons which are different major versions (the "x" in version x.y.z)
are generally considered to be incompatible with each other.   SOMETIMES
you get lucky and can squeeze some limited functionality out of such a
setup, but eventually you will try to do something which fails for
reasons which otherwise make no sense.  This seems to be exactly what
you're experiencing.

So short answer: ignore the error message.  Your 2.4.4 daemon is not
fully compatible with 1.36.6 FD.

- Cedric