Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?

2009-10-15 21:02:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] When is my Volume will be recycled?
From: Cedric Tefft <logicloop AT gmail DOT com>
To: Jose Perez <jvoorhees1 AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Thu, 15 Oct 2009 17:59:08 -0700
Jose Perez wrote:
Hi people:

I'm a little confused about how bacula deals with Pools and Volumes.
I'm using Automatic labeling with a Pool that uses a unique Volume (as
file disk) that is continuosly increasing its size. I have a unique
volume named Vol-0001 with a size of 900 GB and status Append.

If I pretend to preserve Files for 30 days, Jobs for 60 days.. so When
my big volume will be marked as Full or Used to be able to get
recycled? These are my Pool and Clients configurations:

Bacula's retention times for volumes are based on the date the volume was last written.  So, every time Bacula writes a backup job to a volume, your 15-day retention clock starts over from zero.  As long as your volume's status is Append, bacula will keep writing to it.

With a physical, magnetic tape volume, you will eventually reach the end of the tape, Bacula will mark the volume FULL, and move on to the next volume.  With logical (disk file) volumes, there is no natural limit on the size of the volume other than the size of the underlying disk partition.  Since you probably don't want Bacula to fill up your entire partition, you need to place an artificial limit on the size of your volumes.

There are several directives you can include in your Pool definition which will accomplish this:

    Maximum Volume Jobs

Maximum Volume Files

Maximum Volume Bytes

Volume Use Duration