Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Windows incremental backup based on time stamps

2009-09-28 03:41:50
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Windows incremental backup based on time stamps
From: Graham Keeling <graham AT equiinet DOT com>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 08:44:35 +0100
On Sun, Sep 27, 2009 at 08:12:54PM +1000, James Harper wrote:
> > Considering "file names" loaded in RAM, I still have doubts. For instance:
> >
> > 1) If Accurate=yes, and there is a new file but with old date than
> > previous full/diff/inc backup, will it be backed up? Is this very old
> > Windows Bacula client bug solved?
>
> In theory, Accurate means that it should back up any file that is in any way
> different to what it was when the backup was last done. I'm not sure to what
> extent it works in practice.

After investigating this for myself last week, I found that the code looks
at the access and modification times of files in both the 'accurate' and
non-'accurate' cases.
So, for example, if you change a file and then set those times back to match
what they were for the last backup, it won't get backed up next time - even
though it is now different.