Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Never Mind - Given up on Bacula

2009-02-12 17:50:07
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Never Mind - Given up on Bacula
From: Frank Sweetser <fs AT WPI DOT EDU>
To: Steve Handy <shandy AT firstcomm DOT com>
Date: Thu, 12 Feb 2009 17:12:58 -0500
Steve Handy wrote:
> Five years ago. I am sure Netbackup has progressed in those times. No one
> likes to dish out money to expensive software, but typically sturdy
> dependable products come at a price. Bacula is not a horrible product, but
> it has bugs in it. Bugs any serious company will probably not. In my
> opinion, it needs to be taken out of the open source community, closed
> sourced, and then have some highly paid engineers stamp the bugs.

Hah!  Thanks, I've been studying for a certification exam all day and needed a
good laugh.

Seriously, though, if you think that a paycheck suddenly turns someone into a
brilliant software engineer, then you've obviously never had to painstakingly
read and explain RFCs to the developers who supposedly implemented them in the
product you bought, had a trouble ticket filled with with carefully documented
details and transcripts of reliably reproducible problems come back with a
response that basically says "Oh, our software doesn't do that, so you're not
having that problem!", or, when you finally convince them that it really is a
real bug, have the vendor respond by simply retracting any claim to having
that feature rather than fix it.  And yes, those are all experiences I have
personally had when dealing with "highly paid engineers."

Of course, you don't have to simply take my word for it.  I challenge anyone
out there to read The Daily WTF at http://thedailywtf.com/ for a few weeks and
then argue with a straight face that programmers who are motivated by
paychecks magically make fewer mistakes than ones who care deeply about the
projects they're working on.

WPI Senior Network Engineer   |  is simple, elegant, and wrong. - HL Mencken