Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup

2008-11-27 07:01:10
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup
From: "Mike Holden" <bacula AT mikeholden DOT org>
To: bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 11:57:52 -0000 (UTC)
David Jurke wrote:
> The DBAs are already talking about partitioning and making the older
> tablespaces read-only and only backing them up weekly or fortnightly or
> whatever, which solves the problem for the daily backups but still leaves
> us with a weekly/fortnightly backup which won't fit in the backup staging
> disk and won't complete before the next backup is due to kick in. It may
> be that we have to just accept that and not do daily backups over the
> weekend, say, working around the disk space issue somehow.

We use a similar partitioning scheme and make stuff read-only once it is
older. For backups, what we do is split the read-only partitions into 8
groups, and once a week we back up one of these 8 groups on a rota. This
means that each week we only backup one eighth of the RO data, and each RO
file gets backed up once every 8 weeks. The tape retention is set so that
we always have a couple of spare copies of each RO file in the archive
before it is overwritten. This works pretty well for us.

As an additional note, rather than creating multiple smallish files on a
regular basis, I would suggest resizing files - you can even automate this
by use of the AUTOINCREMENT clauses on datafiles. This keeps the number of
files lower. This can have an impact during checkpointing (less files =
faster checkpointing). Although there's no realistic limit on file sizes
these days most of the time, I would suggest keeping files to say 50Gb or
smaller, just because of recovery times when only a single file needs to
be recovered.
--
Mike Holden

http://www.by-ang.com - the place to shop for all manner of hand crafted
items, including Jewellery, Greetings Cards and Gifts