Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup

2008-11-25 14:25:16
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup
From: "David Jurke" <David.Jurke AT tnzi DOT com>
To: "David Ballester" <ballester.david AT gmail DOT com>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 08:22:30 +1300
Hiya David,

I'm assured by our DBAs that this one-tablespace-at-a-time method works - it's
apparently what Oracle recommend, and they do restores and recovers frequently
for things like creating test databases, so it's a proven method. It could be
that my description of the process was rather lacking, there's likely other
details around it, but the basic theory is sound. Hot-backup one tablespace at
a time, followed by a log switch and back up all the logs.

Using RMAN is one of the options I'm looking at, but I haven't managed to spot
a good description of how to integrate it into Bacula to achieve a backup
straight to tape, either a directly attached drive or across the network.

Ideally, as I think I mentioned previously, I'd like to configure our SAN
fabric to give one of the drives (in our autochanger tape library) directly to
the database server, and back up straight to tape without going across the
network. But it's not at all clear to me how to do that with Bacula and still
be able to use Bacula and the autochanger to switch tapes and keep track of
volumes.

Cheers,

DJ.