Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] Some questions about pools and volumes

2008-11-27 07:04:34
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] Some questions about pools and volumes
Date: Thu, 27 Nov 2008 03:54:02 -0800
Personal Técnico wrote:
> Hi!
>
> I have configured these 2 pools for backup a server:
>
> Pool {
>         Name = Incremental
>         Label Format = "Server-Incr"
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         Storage = BackupRAID5
>         Volume Use Duration = 7 days
>         Volume Retention = 7 days
>         Maximum Volume Jobs = 7
>         Maximum Volumes = 2
>         Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 200GB
> }
>
> Pool {
>         Name = Full
>         Label Format = "Server-Full"
>         Pool Type = Backup
>         Recycle = yes
>         AutoPrune = yes
>         Storage = BackupRAID5
>         Volume Use Duration = 1d
>         Volume Retention = 2 months
>         Maximum Volume Jobs = 1
>         Maximum Volumes = 1
>         Recycle Oldest Volume = yes
>         Maximum Volume Bytes = 200GB
> }
>
> With this configuration, I get 2 questions with no answer:
>
>    1. With this configuration, I get 14 days of Incremetal backups (12
>       Incremental + 2 Full -no prior Incremental-) going to
>       Incremental pool and just 1 Full backup going to Full pool. Is
>       it correct or am I wrong?
>    2. If I change "Label Format" in Incremental Pool by new value
>       "${Pool}", what will Bacula do at the moment of generate the
>       second volume? If pool has variable expansion, first volume will
>       be labeled as "Incremental" (without jobid number), but what
>       will be the name of the second volume??
>    3. In Full pool, where I have only define 1 maximum volume, when
>       second backup is going to execute (1 month later from first
>       one), bacula will prune/purge volume because it was marked as
>       "Used". Is there any way for avoiding a full prune/pruge and
>       only delete some records (not all volume)? Maybe is "volume
>       retention" the solution?
>

> Thanks for all!!
You probably don't want to use Maximum Volumes or Maximum Volume Bytes
in your pool definition. Otherwise, you may get an error once the pool
is "full".

Instead, just rely on the retention period. Also, since you are backing
up to a hard disk, I would go with Maximum Volume Jobs = 1 and create
more than one file for the incremental backup - but that's just my
preference; you don't have to do it that way. There also was an issue
with the volume use duration; somebody else may remember the details,
but I believe you would have to add one day to it.

There is an interaction with the schedule and the job definitions. If
you don't explicitly specify otherwise (in either the job or the
schedule), it is quite possible that the first backup will be upgraded
to a full backup and still go to the incremental pool. That is one way
how the incremental pool might end up with more jobs than you'd expect.

If you change the label format to use variable expansion, Bacula will
not append the media ID number any more. You need to find another way to
count volumes. I would NOT suggest relying on the jobid or anything
job-related, because bacula will later recycle the volume (file), and at
that point the file name would no longer have any relationship to the
content.

You are right, in your full pool, bacula is going to overwrite the first
file. This is because of the Maximum Volumes setting, and the main
reason I recommended removing it.

You CANNOT remove individual jobs from a volume, you can only delete
volumes as a whole. This is because bacula is fundamentally
philosophically a tape backup application, and it treats files as tapes.
And in any case, it would be difficult to prune data from the middle of
a file.

--
Kevin Keane
Owner

Office: 866-642-7116
http://www.4nettech.com

This e-mail and attachments, if any, may contain confidential and/or
proprietary information. Please be advised that the unauthorized use or
disclosure of the information is strictly prohibited. The information herein is
intended only for use by the intended recipient(s) named above. If you have
received this transmission in error, please notify the sender immediately and
permanently delete the e-mail and any copies, printouts or attachments thereof.