Bacula-users

[Bacula-users] Large Oracle backup best-practice

2008-11-25 15:39:15
Subject: [Bacula-users] Large Oracle backup best-practice
From: "David Jurke" <David.Jurke AT tnzi DOT com>
To: "Dan Langille" <dan AT langille DOT org>
Date: Wed, 26 Nov 2008 09:36:50 +1300
Thanks Dan, good suggestion, subject duly changed...

Our DBAs are well aware of the implications of disaster recovery, we have
another site with DR hardware, which in the long term will have a hot-standby
database with logs shipped up to it and suchlike. For various reasons (don't
ask; not the DBAs' fault, though) that's not ready yet. In the meantime, we've
got agreement from the business that an outage of "probably a few days" is
acceptable for the application as it now stands (it's a work in progress) in
the event of a disaster.

The backup process we've got in place was always acknowledged to be a (cheap)
interim solution to cover us until we got a "proper" backup solution - meaning
one which would scale up to handle a 7TB database backup daily. As it stands,
as we've implemented it, Bacula doesn't; what I'm doing is trying to work out
whether Bacula can be the "final" solution, or whether we need to move to
something like Networker + RMAN. Or Bacula + RMAN, if I can find a good
description of how to integrate them together. Or some other solution if
someone can suggest one!

DJ