Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup

2008-11-25 13:14:37
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup
From: Dan Langille <dan AT langille DOT org>
To: David Jurke <David.Jurke AT tnzi DOT com>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 13:12:12 -0500
On Nov 25, 2008, at 2:10 AM, David Jurke wrote:

> The problem I have is with our large (expected to grow to several
> terabytes) database server. I’m told by the DBAs that the size and
> amount of activity on this database is such that putting the whole
> database into hot backup mode for the several hours it takes to back
> it up is a Bad Idea, it generates far too many log(?) files. The
> method they recommend is to put a single tablespace into backup
> mode, back that up, put it back to normal, repeat for each
> tablespace. The backup takes the same time, but doesn’t generate
> anything like the amount of log(?) files.

There is no way to dump interactively?  I'm a PostgreSQL fan and
creating a backup doesn't add overhead.

Are the DBAs sure that this won't create an inconsistent backup?  That
is, to restore, you are combining data from different times.  I'm sure
that transactions have occurred during that time... etc.

What database are you backing up?

> Trouble is, I can’t work out how to do that with Bacula without
> creating a backup job for every tablespace, which is a bit ugly
> because the tablespaces change frequently and without warning, and
> if we have to change the Bacula config every time it’d be too easy
> to miss one and thereby invalidate our backups. Not to mention the
> amount of work involved.

Why can't the DBAs provide a script that will dump all the
tablespaces, then you back them all up.

--
Dan Langille
http://langille.org/