Bacula-users

Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup

2008-11-25 21:49:32
Subject: Re: [Bacula-users] How to set up large database backup
From: "Jeff Kalchik" <jkalchik AT frontiernet DOT net>
To: "bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net" <bacula-users AT lists.sourceforge DOT net>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:47:16 -0600 (CST)
> This is equivalent to what we're doing now, but we're sort of one step up
> in the hierarchy - backing up one tablespace at a time.
>
> You don't say whether you mean to back up each table to tape as it's
> produced, or back them all up at the end when they've all been copied.
>
> Either way, there's problems.

I'll chime in with another potential solution:  volume snapshots.

In my day job, not using Bacula, we back up multi-terabyte Oracle
databases every day.  The database is in backup mode for only a few
minutes per day.  Granted, the length of time is probably more due to the
EMC BCV cloning process, but the entire database is consistent, and whole
backups are possible.

If you're hosting your databases on a hardware SAN, this might be another
option.

Jeff Kalchik